Flashback Friday!

On January 9th 2002 at 10:00am on the dot my life was forever changed.


I gave birth to a 7 pound 11oz. 191/2 inch long wonder of creation. We named him Abraham Jayvn Vibat, ever after (except when in deep trouble) to be known as AJ. When I went into the hospital on the 9th I had no idea that the next 15+ hours would be so incredibly hard (if you hear Jays version it sounds like a Friday the 13th movie). I also could have never imagined the new deep resounding love that would fill my eyes with tears and my heart with delight by 10:01 am the next morning. Oh yes, I am a better woman today because having him motivated me to want better, to be better, and to love better.

AJ one week old

AJ likes to read my blog and see if I've written about him. So, today my son, this is for you.

My dear sweet Son,

Seven years ago I was blessed beyond measure. You truly are a masterpiece finely crafted by God own hands. When I look into you smiling face my heart leaps and sometimes for a second I feel a sense of wonder and confusion. You look so much like your daddy. What a blessing for me to see the man I love in your face- reminding me daily what our love made. Then I wonder where I am? What part of you represents me? At that moment, you open your mouth and speak. There, that's me I think as you tell me that you love me MOST, even more then I love you. I ,of course know that that is impossible- but still I see myself in your words. Ok lets be honest-I'm in those ever furrowed eye brows, and in your clef chin too. It's in these small moments that I stop and whisper a heartfelt thank you to God because through His blessing you ARE mine.

You have been so blessed too AJ. You have an amazing mind. Daddy and I are always trying to keep up, and encourage you. You've always wanted to do things first and fast. Always might be an overstatement because you are often pragmatic, and skeptical of new situations. But I think that only makes you approach the world wiser. I'm so proud of you for "sticking to it" with things now. When you were little you'd get frustrated and give up so fast but as you've grown up you've learned that practice, and perseverance are really good things. You are an amazing reader! It's been so fun to sit back and read some of my favorite childhood books and poems with you. I love that you think reading Where the Sidewalk Ends is a great way to spend an evening. You've also been so blessed with a handsome face, a stllar personality, and a wonderfully tender heart. I can not wait to see the man you grow into someday. I know that God has great things planned for you my son. So never take your eyes off of Him, for all the things that make you fantastically you were works of our heavenly Fathers hands.

I know that sometimes it's hard to be the oldest, but you are such a good Kuya. You make Abby so happy. Do you remember when she was little like Aubree and you were the ONLY person who could make her laugh? I loved watching you teach her how to play with your treasured toys this week. That was such a big boy thing to do. Thank you for all your help with your sisters it really means a lot to me. Even though it can be hard at times being the oldest also grants you a gift that neither of your sisters will ever have, you are my first child. I will always see the world fresh and new through your eyes. Never before you did I know I could love so deeply, I loved you unselfishly first. I never new how proud the little everyday things like smiling, laughing, walking, reading, and riding a bike could make me- until you did them first. I never felt so protective of anyone before there was you. You are my son- and I loved you first. I don't love the girls any less, or any more, but it IS different.

I hope so many things for you AJ. I hope you continue to be so comfortable in your own skin. I hope you never lose the faith you have in God because He is, and will always be mighty to save. I hope you grow up and love what you do and the people who surround you. I hope you will always want to hang out with your weird mom. But, most of all in the here and now, I hope you have a very Happy Birthday today. I love being your mommy, and I love you.


Happy Birthday Bubba,
x0x0x0x Mama

4 comments:

Maritez said...

Des, that was SO beautiful! AJ is lucky to have you as his mommy. Happy Birthday AJ!

My Pursuit of Happyness said...

Happy Birthday AJ =)
Desiree you're such a GREAT mom to AJ and the girls =) They too are very blessed to have you!!

wedogmomma said...

What a wonderful tribute to a gifted boy!
I hope you print it out and stick it in an envelope for him to read again and again.
You are a gift to him now and always....there could be no other momma to raise such an AJ...Muah you two!

Joan said...

okay ... got me all teary-eyed! something to look forward too when my kids start reading. thanks for sharing. YOU, TOO, ARE WONDERFULLY MADE! Love yah! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin