Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore

I've been talking about writing a post about Big's school adventures for awhile now, but just kept putting it off. See the thing is lately I feel like Dorothy when she landed in Oz... just so confused.

I might as well start by letting you know this post is going to make me sound like a total braggart. The pride I have stored up in that little boy is amazing- because he IS amazing!!!

Big is the quiet contemplative type. Always eager to learn. So it was no wonder that he was reading well at 3. All his life if he's shown an interest in something Jay and I would dive right in with him and start soaking up the knowledge we needed to help him understand whatever it was that caught his fancy. This process works for him. He LOVES to learn. He LOVES being smart. The caveat is that he also HAS to be challenged. You know the saying 'idle hands are the devils playground'? This is so true for him. If he's not engaged he will find something to do, and most likely it will not be grownup approved. Once Jay and I learned that we were fine.

Then Kindergarten started. By his first few weeks of kindergarten we were faced with the rude reality that not all parents put the effort into their children that we had. There were kids in his class that had no idea what their real first names were let alone how to spell them. Big had known that for what felt like forever. When the teacher so proudly announced the list of words they would learn by years end we were floored. I, am, we, the....you get the picture. We soon decided that kindergarten was going to be mostly for socialization. By the end of the year Big had learned to read, write and spell all the words from k-3rd grade. He was proud of himself, and proud to be a 'smart guy'.

In the first year I had trepidation with more then school work. Big is a timid sweet boy, and we had issues with bullies. It sucked. I hoped the whole experience would be better this year...

First grade is underway now and we are seeing a lot of the same problems. He gets bored so easily with his work. He's tired of saying A says 'ah'. I don't blame him. If I'd known that for almost 4 years I'd be ready to move on too. His teacher is kind but new. Instead of challenging him like we discussed she gives him busy work like checking her markers. I know that there are things to be learned in school that are not academic, but I've gotten to the point where I feel like he's being dumbed down instead of learning. We have requested a conference. To top it all off he came home from school last week and told me that a kid grabbed him by his collar and socked him in the lip-it bled. So the bullies are back...great....

Here comes the tornado sweeping me away to OZ.
I always said I wasn't the 'homeschooling type'. I loose my patience easily, I have wretched spelling and grammar, and I suck at math. Does that sound like a teacher to you? I wrote the idea off long ago.....swirling, faster, faster, THEWACK!.....OZ
Then God started bringing these great home schoolers into my life. Wow, it can be great!! There are so many groups and co-ops, you don't have to do it alone. Everything great Big knows he learned at home anyways, the field trips and real life learning we could do! Would Jay go for it? .....hmmm, what is this place?.....
These thoughts have been heavy on my mind and in my prayers lately. Maybe, I am the homeschooling type after all? I don't know. I'll just keep praying, listen for God, and learning more about it until I feel I have the answers. If you would could you pray too? Not just about the HS thing (but do lift that up to Him if you think about it) but for Big as he goes to school. It's a scary Forrest filled with flying monkeys out there.....

Oh we're not in Kansas anymore people, good thing my God doesn't need ruby slippers hu?

3 comments:

wedogmomma said...

Sweet Dorothy--- I'm a bit of a rookie at this HS thing still....but I have seen God provide in SO many ways ---- financially, organizationally, with encouragement, and yes, especially with patience!

I know JUST how you feel! Inadequecy is the first hurdle to get over and yet it will always pop up- just like in parenting....just remember how we felt with our firstborn...."What there's NO instruction manual???" Yet, look at AJ now...all God's creation, then molded and shaped by your loving household.
The enemy knows exactly how to attack us in our weaknesses.....and if its with your past, you can choose to carry those, not just as weights, but as textbooks of sorts...learn from them and file them away---refer back when it's necessary, but then let them collect dust! ;)
Praying for you dear sister! There is nothing but promise for AJ's future at home or at school....God will reveal it all...but only in mini-steps....and remember, His answer is already on it's way! (We're just not sure of the delivery timeframe!)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's big decision to make. I totally understand where you are coming from...as a teacher in public schools, I know how hard it is to challenge those high kids while still dealing with the other 19 :{

God is in control, remember that whether you decide to keep him at home or continue with school and He will provide a clear answer for you. And for this year, keep on his teacher-we are trained to differentiate our instruction, it just takes work...so make sure she does it! ;D

Anonymous said...

Des,
I've been reading up on giftedness, and this may most likely be the issue with AJ. Has he been tested? I feel for you guys. I know you will make the best decision for your family.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin