Big and the Hat

Sometimes I think it takes a random weird moment to appreciate the fullness of people. Moments that make you giggle, cry, or feel anything BIG.

I have taken to crocheting. I really enjoy it. Lately I've been making hats. I keep trying to make one for Big but they are either too big or too small. I think he must be right in between ALL pattern sizes...LOL. He's been so patient. He's also very excited about his hat. Well on Saturday I set out to make him a hat again. He requested a brown one with this camoish yarn too. As I am working stitches in the car (my new favorite place to crochet) he asks:

"Mom, can you add a camo heart to my hat?"

...well I'm sure you can picture the shock on both Jay and my faces. I wondered hmmm where is he going with this. I tried to hold back laughter and told him no. I know, it's just a heart but all I need is him being bullied and labeled as something he's not. I'd like him to end his last year in public school on a high note. Not really phased, and full of confidence in my crochet prowess he then asks:

"Well then, can you make it say I LOVE MOM?"

....I almost die. Barely able to hold a conversation I say I might be able to stitch it on the inside for him. He says he wants it on the outside and mimes his hat showing me that he wants it right in front in a nice BIG font. I gasp....this would be social suicide. I tell him I'm not sure how to do that yet because I'm still learning. Hew nods in acceptance and asks me to practice.

Now besides wanting to LOL and wondering where he comes up up with this stuff I was struck with a realization. He loves me so purely. He would proudly declare from his hat that he loves his mom. He didn't care that it was social suicide- I don't think what other would think of him even crossed his mind.

Note to self: You shouldn't need a hat proclaiming how tender he is to be mindful of it. Speak softer, show more empathy.His heart is so tender. In these training year don't loose sight of that. Because where our treasure is there our HEART is also. He is my treasure, my gift- my blessing. I need to help him guard his heart and learn to fill it with good things of God, not slowly break him.

3 comments:

Maritez said...

What a gem of a son you have! That is absolutely precious :D

wedogmomma said...

can I just start by saying what a smile I got when I read...."I'd like him to end his last year in public school on a high note...."

that was just such a huge reminder of a prayer answered....but I digress....on to the cuteness of it all.....
I think that ALL kids should have such eagerness encouraged! What a lover he is....that's a gift :D
uninhibited adoration.....just for you mommy!
Be blessed...and prepare to bring those crocheting tips to our coffee hour!

Heidi said...

These are the moments every mom longs to hear. You are blessed because you are a good MOM!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin