Head Colds and Cauliflower

Ha! Bet that caught your attention. But really that's a great summary of my day today.

Both the girls and I have icky head colds. I had all these marvelous plans for the day today- I'm so bummed I missed CBS. I really enjoy the women in my core group (thanks Joan!!!!), and the fellowship it brings, but when I finally woke up for real this morning ( I say for real here because Little began trying to wake up during the 4 o'clock hour this morning) I was certain it was Saturday and completely appalled when Jay announced he was off to work. After realizing it was indeed a work day, assessing the girls snot status, and taking an Advil, I decided today was most certainly a stay at home sort of day. So the girls and I walked Big to the bus stop then bummed around in our PJ's for the day. It was nice to just be, ok minus the whining and snot. I find that I'm always on the go now, so maybe that was my sweet Daddies way of telling me to chillax.

Once I decided the day might be worth while after all, it was time to cook dinner. here's where the cauliflower comes in. I love finding things that make me excited to cook, or even better make my kids excited to eat. This week at Farmers Market I found Purple cauliflower. PURPLE! From an organic farm no less. Sometime I will have to post a blog devoted to my love of the farmers market, but for tonight I'll stick with the cauliflower. I'm one of those lucky few mom's who's kids like their fruits and veggies. So the whole getting them to eat them isn't really the problem. I find that they, and let's be honest here- and I get bored of the same ol' same old. I cook the same...oh....lets say 20 dinner rotation all the time so when i find ways to make it fun, and change it up I get stoked. Lately I've been stepping out of my Filipino recipe box and going healthier. We eat brown rice (a HUGE feat) every other time, stuff like that. So like I said Cauliflower is a regular, well liked veggie in my house. I gatta tell you though the response to the veggies I cooked up tonight was awesome. They were a total hit (along with the turkey burgers, on whole grain whole wheat buns...check me out!). They were lovely, and Big was stunned. He wanted to save some to prove to his friends that Cauliflower can be purple. For the record it also comes in an orange variety, and although the color was shocking it tasted just the same.

So that was my day head colds, and cauliflower. Tough and rewarding. So is the life of all mothers.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

YAY FOR THE CRUNCHY HIPPIE FOOD! I love the organics and whole wheat. You crack me up. I would love to meet you at the farmers market sometime....I love produce and outdoors, can it get any better?

wedogmomma said...

OMGoodness!
my daughter will Flip OUT if we get our hands on purple cauliflower...the fact that you can muster any excitement with a head cold amazes ME, but those veggies definitely made my mouth water! Super mom in the kitchen baby!
Ah, Talia LOVES purple...help, point me to the Farmer's market!!!

Joan said...

you're post made me hungry ... i'm gonna go make dinner ... but i have to tell you, it won't look pretty as yours! :)

Joan said...

I LOVE the new blog look! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin