Multi-Cutural....
...or a post only fully appreciated by Filipinos.
It has dawned on me recently that although I am clearly white- My mannerisms , cultural values, and cooking style have evolved to be very heavily Filipino. I cook a lot of Filipino dishes, so much so that even my Filipino friends say I cook traditional food more then they do. HA! That is so funny to me...Don't get me wrong, I love to cook globally, and I l-o-v-e my down home American style dinners but for the purpose of this story I'm going to talk about a conversation Daddy had with Big over dinner a couple of weeks ago.
That night I made Tinola for the first time. Everyone was seated and enjoying dinner (yea me!) when Daddy got up to get more fish sauce. Once getting back to the table he had this conversation with Big:
Big(pointing to Daddies finger dish of Patis): Daddy whats that?
(see he is a white boy too!)
Daddy: It's Patis.
Big: what's Patis?
Daddy: Fish sauce wanna try some?
(Big then tries it and decides he likes it. He also looks like he's a bit troubled and deep in thought)
Big: Is Patis fish pee?
Daddy: NO! Why would you think that?
Big:Oh Patis...It sounds a lot like piss.
(Relieved he then asks for more Patis)
hahahahahahahaha....

4 comments:
I'm literally laughing out loud and I'm by myself =) Gotta love it!!!!
Crankin' up! :)
OMG. That is hilarious! I'm STILL laughing and I read it over 10 minutes ago! I soooo miss you. haha
OMG!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!
Post a Comment