5 Selfish Reasons

...this post is purely selfish on my part. Big and I have been locked in a Battle Royal of sorts for the last ohhhhhh 2 months. I don't know if it's his age, stage, or curiosity. Or if it's my shaky nerves, divided time, or high standards. Regardless of what, or why we have been at odds. This moment in his life he's in Character Training boot camp. I don't like feeling like a drill Sargent. The role is mine though, and if he's going to be the awesome man I know he will be someday then I have to stay the course. I have to tough it out, and know that in time this too shall pass. So today, instead of dwelling on these tough times I'd like to share 5 purely organic Bub tidbits with you.

1. I completely ADORE how he speaks. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and it must be true. I always hear how none of my children look anything like me, and it's true until he opens his mouth. Everything about his linguistic skills scream Desiree's Boy. The way he forms his sentences, his catch phrases, his vocabulary... it's all blessedly me. The boy uses the word apparently, as much as most kids his age say "yeah". I love it.

2. He is steadfast in his beliefs. He has more faith then most adults. But what's really amazing is his openness about what he believes is right. He will sing praises to God anywhere. He will pray with zero doubt about whether or not God is listening, because he knows he is. He doesn't worry what others think of him EVER! (if you've ever seen his bedhead, and mismatched clothes you now know why) He's so comfortable in his own skin, his own thoughts, and his own beliefs. I think most of you remember the polar bear episode. If not picture Bub after his "sudo-hippie" mama let him watch Inconvenient Truth. He had us all watching our "carbon"out put. LOL

3. Simply, I love his giggle. It's so pure, so honest. It's not forced or contrived. If you get him laughing it's the real thing, and it feeds your soul. I have more energy right now just thinking about it. The high pitched squeal, the way his face opens up, then BOOM he's laughing.

4. The boy can make anything if you give him a marker and a pile of junk. He will make something he thinks is wonderfully fun. This week he found a lone balloon. He blew it up. Then drew a face on each side. One was a cute happy face that thrilled Little. The other side can be seen in the picture. He then spent a good half hour punching "his lights out" laughing, and making Little laugh too.


5. one word: Cooley. I find something so sweet about his devotion to that bear. He calls Cooley his only brother. He loved him from the moment he picked his heart and stuffed him, and he loves him still. In this season where so much is changing, I breath a sigh of relief when I have to kiss Cooley good nite too. I silently thank God for giving me that reminder that regardless of what he thinks he is still a little boy. I hope I have to search for Cooley if he's missing, help him find his_______, listen to him tell me how it can't be bedtime yet in his very pokemon-ish language "coOl, co Cooley cool", and kiss him good nite for at least a few more years.

....well there are tonight's 5. And what do you know, I do appreciate who he is more now then when I started typing this. Yes, times have been rough but at the end of the day he's still my Big. The sweet boy that needs his mama to stay and wavy goodbye as the bus drives away. Who swears he's lonely at school because he's decided he needs a hug from me like once every hour even though when he's home I have to beg for those same hugs, and the boy that can't sleep without a kiss for him- and his bear. Those are the things I need to dwell on. Those are the facts that really matter, after all the rest is just growing pains.

3 comments:

Joan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joan said...

This journey through motherhood is so much more joyful when you are surrounded with other mothers who care deeply about their children. I am so blessed to be a part of your life Desiree. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about AJ. It made me reflect on my relationship with Shali ... my strong-willed little girl. And what you said is true. We just need to be their post and not waver, because in our resolve they will find safety and love. Love you momma!

Sara :-) said...

I absolutely LOVE reading your blog. It makes me want to start my own now too. As you know, I am now venturing (slowly and occasionally but still it's an adventure) on a form of mommy-hood.

On the AJ front.... you are raising one of the most truly unique creatures of the world. Knowing and seeing him grow has been such an eye opening experience, attesting to the true existence of divinity. I love you, him and you and the rest of your wonderful family.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin